Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cutting Wood

Since we burn mostly wood in our Sedore we need to prepare for the winter by cutting wood in the summer. We had a providential event here a few months ago. One of our large locust trees that was growing at an angle on our hill fell down without obvious intervention. I was outside and heard what sounded like gunshots on my hill. I was quite curious but saw no one and no evidence of any activity. I kept looking and the shots kept getting louder and more rapid. Suddenly as I was about to investigate the firing turned to the cracking of splitting timber. A 70 foot locust tree dropped down 20 feet above my log pile. The sounds I heard were the roots popping as they snapped intermittently beneath the ground.
I haven't been able to get to cutting up the tree until this weekend, as I do not have a good working chainsaw at the moment and needed some help. Locust is very dense/hard wood, which not all chainsaws can handle. It burns hot and long so is a desirable fuel for the colder months.
The tree is now cut into sections and will be split and loaded onto my woodpile in the next few weeks.

No comments: