Saturday, February 9, 2008

Water Coils


Our Sedore 3000 has two water coils installed in the burn chamber. We have successfully hooked it up to our currently hot water heating system. We have an oil fired hot water system that heats our 3 story house with radiators. There are 2 zones and 4 coils. We have the water coils hooked into the 2nd zone and it is keeping the radiators on the 2nd floor quite warm and comfortable. It is interesting to always have them warm, in contrast to the oil system where they would be warm and then cool down and then warm again.

Above is a picture of the stove and the system.

2 comments:

m said...

Nice picture of your stove. I've been doing some reading on the Sedore stove for a while now. Sent an email to Canada and got a response to some of my questions. I continue to read from people how well the stove works. I've been more interested in the corn/wood aspect. I live in Nebraska and am thinking about trying one next fall. I would still like to hear from someone that switches from corn to wood and back again. I'm particularly interested in how easy it is to switch. So far I have not seen a picture of the hopper they use. I guess it comes up to with in a couple inches from the top. Not sure if it has a handle to grip to pull it out with or not.
People seem to say it puts out an unbelievable amount of heat but has a low stack temp. We have burned wood all my life so I'm pretty familiar with most of the aspects of stoves. They must use pretty good paint since I have yet to see one with the paint burned off on the bottom.
Yours is the first that I have seen with water plumbing. Looks very interesting. I'll continue to watch your blog for more pics and comments on it. martin

Jennifer at Purposeful Nutrition said...

We do not have a hopper and we have been told by the US manufacturer that it really isn't needed for corn or pellets. The hopper tends to only last 2 or 3 years before it must be replaced. If the fire is burning hot it is not supposed to be a problem to burn corn. We intend to try corn and pellets, but have not done so yet, as wood is most plentiful where we live in the mountains of PA.
The paint used on these stoves from Minnesota is Thermolux and there seems to be a nice variety of colors to choose from. We have a black one and a sapphire blue in our showroom and our showroom model/house heating unit is Raleigh Blue.